b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:13:32 -0700

George:

Here in the West we have a tradition that allows us to write even whole
books in the first person where either we pretend to be a fictional
character (Robinson Crusoe) or a historical character (I Claudius) and
people recognize that it is fiction. It is not considered lying because our
literary tradition allows us to recognize that it is no different than a
parable, albeit an extended one.

The question is, did Biblical Hebrew have such a tradition, and if so, how
would we recognize it? The short parables found in the Bible have clear
contextual clues that tell us readers that here we deal with parable. What
contextual clues would indicate that Qohelet is such a parable?

It is recognized that ancient kings often went by several names, and Qohelet
could very well have been one of the names Solomon was known by. Therefore,
the use of Qohelet for the author’s name does not rule out Solomon.

Basically, what it comes down to, if there is not a tradition that allows
for a first person fiction in ancient Hebrew literary tradition, then for
someone to write as a first person when he wasn’t that person nor did he
leave any other clues that it is fiction, then he is pretending to be that
other person, i.e. a liar.

I know of no such literary tradition in Biblical Hebrew. The text indicates
that it was written by the son of David, a king in Israel, who lived during
a peaceful time when there was great wealth. Either it was written by
Solomon during the tenth century BC or a pretender. A pretender, by
definition, is a liar.

On other but related issues: Daniel 4 is a statement by King Nebuchadnezzar
which, by accident of preservation, was preserved only in the Bible. And
chapters 7 through 12 were written by Daniel: either that or written after
73 AD as it describes the Jewish revolt of 66 AD. You don’t have other
examples to back up your claims re. Qohelet.

Karl W. Randolph.