b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] How many LXX copies do you know are dated BC ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] How many LXX copies do you know are dated BC ?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:13:20 -0400

Hi Folks,

Roberto, try this for the specific info.

Chronological List of Early Papyri and MSS for LXX/OG Study (plus the same MSS in Canonical Order appended)
collected by Robert A. Kraft (University of Pennsylvania)
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rak//earlylxx/earlypaplist.html

Be cautious with any theories that the Greek OT was actually in full circulation before the Christian era. Josephus writes quite plainly that he was considering translating the histories into Greek to make them available to his audience, which would not be necessary if the books were circulating. Instead he wrote Antiquities.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY

Roberto Emilo
Hello Everybody, I wonder if you can help me informing me about the LXX manuscripts founded that belong before Jesus time. I would like to know how many manuscripts of the LXX we have that are dated BC. For example, until now I know there is Génesis and Deuteronomio in koinè, from LXX, dated 1 a.E.C. from the Fuad coleccion (inv. 266). What else do you know??