b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How many LXX copies do you know are dated BC ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Roberto Farfan <refp AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How many LXX copies do you know are dated BC ?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:20:52 +0100

Hi,

this is a quick and off the cuff response but working from memory and to the best of my knowledge the main ones are 117 fragments of the Fouad collection.

Basically speaking, you can tell the old ones because they contain the tetragrammaton in square hebrew characters. However, it is uncertain at which point the copyists started replacing with kyrios because Jerome claims to have had access to Greek MSS containing the name as late as the 4th century.

The NW reference bible lists 9 other minor MSS that contain the name. I would start looking there if you don't get any better answers from the list members. I don't have a copy to hand so can't help much further.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you get a better answer. I'm interested as well.

Also, one thing you may be interested in knowing is that the Greek monasteries in Athos have libraries of thousands of uncatalogued MSS. I know because I was there. That may be a place to look if you are genuinely interested but getting access to their libraries is not easy.

James Christian

Quoting Roberto Farfan <refp AT hotmail.com>:

Hello Everybody,

I wonder if you can help me informing me about the LXX manuscripts founded that belong before Jesus time.

I would like to know how many manuscripts of the LXX we have that are dated BC.

For example, until now I know there is Génesis and Deuteronomio in koinè, from LXX, dated 1 a.E.C. from the Fuad coleccion (inv. 266).

What else do you know??

Best Regards,

Roberto Emilo