b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 18:04:03 -0700

David:

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM, David Kummerow<farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> If you had been listening, you would have heard that your dialectal
>> use is valid but only for within your dialect.
>
> So semantics as uncancellable meaning is invalid as a principal within a
> dialect, but not so within a "standard language"?

Is this a question showing great ignorance of linguistic principles,
or one that is snide and sneering?

> This is entirely
> arbitrary. To be convincing, you to demonstrate why this is a
> limitation, not just state it.
>
> So is the language of the Bible "standard" or a "dialect"?
>

>> [snip]
>>
>>  >>
>>  >>  > But since you were so hung up on an example from a specific
>> dialect, I
>>  >>  > presented additional language examples that cannot be relegated to
>>  >>  > dialect. But here you just avoid them.
>>  >>  >
>>  >> You accuse too quickly, accusing of avoiding when others see it as
>>  >> merely not addressing an irrelevancy or that the question has already
>>  >> been addressed elsewhere, so no need to repeat oneself.
>>  >
>> Accusing too quickly is not nice.
>>

> I'm sorry, Karl. But it is you who is not dealing with actual language
> evidence which contradicts your position which I raised regarding Lyélé
> and Udihe.

I do not know those languages, I cannot verify nor falsify what you
claim about them. But seeing as you have made a practice of distorting
other statements on this list, I also cannot trust your description of
them. It’s that old principle, that if I find I cannot trust someone
on matters where I can check up on him, I also can’t trust him in
matters where I can’t check up on him.

> Regards,
> David Kummerow.

I have come to the conclusion that your actions are those of a classic
internet troll. You have been repeatedly told by different people that
Genesis 12:1 is not specific enough to prove or disprove your
argument, yet you keep hammering at it. That’s the action of a troll.
It looks as if you deliberately distort others’ statements (which is
not nice), as if to start arguments. That too is the action of a
troll. Your statements and questions often do not sound like those of
a serious scholar, rather those of an educated troll. The response I
hear is not to feed the troll.

Now you have heard why I plan not to respond to your arguments again.