b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 09:19:34 +1000

Hi James,

Hi David,

I don't know if you realise it or not. But with the analysis of the uses of plod in Australian and English variants of English you have shown that you do not disagree with their having an uncancellable meaning. But rather that you disagree with what that uncancellable meaning is.

No, that is not what I said and is a misrepresentation of my view. I explicitly stated the opposite:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2009-June/038988.html
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2009-June/038993.html
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2009-June/038989.html

I do in fact strongly disagree in defining semantics as uncancellable meaning. (Why would I be arguing this point again and again if I thought otherwise?) The way forward is defining semantics prototypically, not uncancellably.

Of course, as we have already agreed. Everything can ultimately be cancelled. We just need to make a new usage and get enough people to use the word in the new way and we've cancelled the meaning. But as Karl has already pointed out I don't think Rolf was ever suggesting that languages do not evolve in this way. He was analysing a very specific snapshot of the language.

James Christian

Regards,
David Kummerow.