b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Survey Question about use of Biblical Hebrew in class

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Survey Question about use of Biblical Hebrew in class
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:14:13 -0400

At 06:17 AM 6/15/2009, you wrote:
--- On Sun, 6/14/09, Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no> wrote:
> Because of their modern Hebrew background, it was
> not as easy for them to learn Biblical Hebrew (the
> subtleties of the language)
I would strongly disagree that modern Hebrew is any sort of obstacle to learning BH. I may or may not be alone in the following opinion, but Hebrew scholars who are not fluent in the modern Hebrew are at a serious disadvantage in this field.

Tony, I can only assume that you are not familiar with Modern Hebrew or Biblical Hebrew. The differences are significant enough to be problematic. I challenge anyone who knows only Biblical Hebrew to read an Israeli paper (or one who knows only modern Hebrew to read a Biblical or rabbinic text.) The problem is obvious and is much more then just vocabulary. The only advantage is that you already know the letter and vowel sounds, and feel 'comfortable' with them.

Moshe Shulman outreach AT judaismsanswer.com 718-436-7705
Judaism's Answer: http://www.judaismsanswer.com/