b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Survey Question about use of Biblical Hebrew in class

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Hamuel <davidhamuel AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Survey Question about use of Biblical Hebrew in class
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:46:13 -0700 (PDT)

> A survey question.
> How many on this list are learning Biblical Hebrew in a spoken BH
> classroom?

A spoken BH is one issue, and 'reading' the Bible is another. Let's see one
little tiny issue: the word בתים Batim (houses).

What is interesting about the word Batim is that it has attracted a lot of
discussions. e.g. Norzi, Radak,ben Asher, ben Naftali. About what? About the
dagesh + the letter tav. One might ask why all the discussions? We know that
a letter could be rafe, with dagesh kal or hazak, right?

>From Hidayat al-Qari we learn that there is a third dagesh!!! called dagesh
>gadol (which is not dagesh hazak!!!, or if you want a third way of
>pronunciation). We know from al-Qari and Kitab al-Khilaf -- variants
>between ben Asher and ben Naftali -- that there was a hilluf between them
>almost about every word of Batim, Batehem (their houses) etc. and the
>dagesh gadol -- excluding maybe two words. And see Daniel 3: 23 (the second
>tav+dagesh) תְּלָתֵּהוֹן

so, the main question is how to read and pronounce the word בתים? the word
תְּלָתֵּהוֹן?

See the Talmud, Rabbi Yohanan: Anyone who reads the Scripture without a
melody...of him the Scripture says "Moreover I gave them laws that were not
good..." (Ezek 20:25).

That said, you don't read the Bible!!! You have to know the cantillation, how
to chant!!!

Best,

David Hamuel
Type Designer
Biblical Hebrew, Grammar & Cantillation Expert

Los Angeles, CA — USA