b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] MLK (LM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] MLK (LM
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:30:38 -0700

Hey Jim:

When are you going to learn Hebrew instead of depending on what others say?

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:18 AM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> MLK (LM
>

> 2. If the earliest version of chapter 14 of Genesis used defective
> spelling (unlike the received text), then it is likely that Genesis 14: 1,
> 9, in
> setting forth the title of nefarious invading ruler Chedorlaomer, originally
> referred to:
>
> MLK (LM
>
> That is identical to the Ugaritic grand title of a king of Ugarit: “king
> eternity”.

Oh? And where can we find a copy of this “original” text? Or did you
make it up, like so much other of your claims?

As for Eylam (YLM found in the text, it is found in 27 verses, every
time a proper noun, i.e. a name, referring to various people and a
place.

> 5. In the Patriarchal narratives, the full spelling of the Hebrew word for
> “eternity” is always used: (WLM. But elsewhere in the Bible, one
> occasionally sees the defective spelling: (LM. [The vav/W as the second
> letter in
> the normal, full spelling is a matres lectionis. The underlying verb in
> Biblical Hebrew, which is the root, is simply (LM. The Hebrew verb (LM
> means “
> to be distant, concealed, hidden”, or “to dissemble”.] Presumably, the
> earliest text of the Patriarchal narratives used (LM to mean [or primarily
> mean] “eternity”, being identical to the Ugaritic word for “eternity”:
> (LM.

You should not only consult your beliefs, but also previous
discussions on this list.

(WLM does not refer to eternity, as you believe. Go back and look at
the discussions we had. Your defective understanding is leading to
defective results.

> If the yod/Y in (YLM at Genesis 14: 1, 9 is a matres lectionis, then the
> defective, original spelling of Chedorlaomer’s title in the Patriarchal
> narratives was:
>
> MLK (LM

It was not a title, rather a name of the country where he ruled.

> In Biblical Hebrew, unlike in Ugaritic, (LM/(YLM could possibly have a
> second, negative meaning, based on the Biblical Hebrew verb (LM:
> “dissembling”
> . [As can be discussed later, Niqmaddu II was (i) a king of Ugarit/“King
> Eternity”, who (ii) from an early Hebrew point of view, was also a “king of
> dissembling”, as he traitorously sold out western Syria to the dreaded
> Hittites while pretending in an Amarna Letter to be friendly to Egypt and
> Canaan,
> and who (iii) joined with three other rulers, creating a force of 4
> attacking rulers who destroyed a league of 5 rulers, being the historical
> basis for
> the “four kings against the five” at Genesis 14: 9.]

You are repeating yourself in suppositions that were already shot
down. Now if only you would get a blog as has been repeatedly
mentioned, you maybe could make sense out of your musings, but right
now this scattergun approach leaves illogic in its wake.

> MLK (LM
>
> Jim Stinehart
> Evanston, Illinois

Now that you have posted your one theory for the week, will we see you
keep your word that you will not post again until next week?