b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Abraham's origins: mwldt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origins: mwldt
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 03:43:20 +0000

Jim Stinehart,

I don't think every Israeli person is an automatic Bible scholar because they
come from Israel and speak Hebrew.

I think the word "brothers" could mean Jacob's relatives who were more than
just Esau. I also think his mother's sons could include grandchildren and
other descendants. I know you only trust the patriarchal narratives, so you
assume that every word in there is used in every possible form and meaning,
so the word sons as grandsons and descendants is only for men because that is
the only way it is used in the patriarchal narratives. Is it possible that
the word could be used that way for women even if it does not show up that
way in the patriarchal narratives? The patriarchal narratives are not a
dictionary that shows every use and meaning of every word in ancient Hebrew.
I think you just like making up rules that fit your beliefs based on the
tiniest bit of evidence. I guess you found someone from Israel who does not
know some simple things that even an ignoramus like me (myself?) knows,
assuming I am right.

Kenneth Greifer