b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origins: mwldt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: greifer AT hotmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Abraham's origins: mwldt
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:16:43 EDT

Kenneth Greifer:

I happened to ride on the bus yesterday with a university professor from
Israel (whom I had never met before, and who’s in computer science). I asked
him your question. Although he did not have an answer off the top of his
head, as soon as he got to work he got out his Hebrew Bible and looked at
chapter 27 of Genesis. I was pleasantly surprised that (i) he sent me an
E-mail
less than an hour after he got off the bus, and (ii) he agreed with my view
that Rebekah had more than two sons.

Of particular importance, that university professor from Israel cited
Genesis 27: 37, where Isaac later tells Esau that in Isaac’s earlier blessing
of
Jacob, “all his brethren have I given him for servants”. The phrase “all
his brethren” is KL-)XYW.

The phrase “all his brethren”/KL-)XYW, when applied to Jacob, implies that
Jacob had at least two full-brothers, and probably half-brothers as well.

The most natural reading of the two phrases “thy mother’s sons” and “all
his brethren” is that Rebekah herself bore at least three sons, with at
least one son being borne after the twins Esau and Jacob were born.

I am not insisting that that is the only possible reading. But it sure
seems to me that that is the most natural reading of those two key phrases.
If
Rebekah only bore two sons, and Isaac never sired a son by a minor wife,
then it would be odd for Isaac to tell a disguised Jacob that “thy mother’s
sons” [in the plural] would bow down to Esau, and for Isaac later to say as
to Jacob that “all his brethren” [in the plural] have been given to Jacob as
Jacob’s servants.

It was a nice change of pace for someone from Israel who knows Hebrew well
to agree with one of my controversial interpretations of the Patriarchal
narratives.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois

**************Discover the variety of Bisquick® mix. Get Recipes & Savings
Now.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222831871x1201491818/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225813%3B37274670%3Be%3Fhttp:%2F%2
Frecipes.bisquick.bettycrocker.com%3FESRC%3D971)