b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Toladot and the Book of Terah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Toladot and the Book of Terah
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 01:58:19 +0300

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Yitzhak:
> This is the first solid evidence that has been produced that calls the
> theory that I was taught to be in question.

No, the fact that what you remember being taught about names and titles in
documents is flat out wrong calls what you remember being taught into
question.

> However, even this one has a question mark: the LXX represents a textual
> tradition that puts Terach as having lived in Haran 205 years, making his
> total life close to 300 years. That would put his death after all these
> others you list, also after the death of Abraham.
>
> Are there other alternate readings that may back up either the Masoretic or
> LXX texts?

There is actually a critical edition of Genesis 1-11, that would be
perhaps rather
useful in this study of the ages of the individuals:
http://books.google.com/books?id=j8Imn3U11m8C

Here is a table from a 19th century bookthat compares LXX, MT, SP, and
Josephus:
http://books.google.com/books?id=k9kUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA12

Here is Hamilton's discussion of some of the issues as compared with the NT:
http://books.google.com/books?id=0FCG2YTWFtcC&pg=PA366

A discussion that incorporates also Philo and 4Q252:
http://books.google.com/books?id=QUkaVq_GlJUC&pg=PA270

Yitzhak Sapir