b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Toladot and the Book of Terah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Toladot and the Book of Terah
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 10:12:34 +1000

Tory wrote:

"At least in this tradition Terah does not predecease any of his ancestors.
Its actually a bit more believable, credible, than the outcome of the figures
preserved in the MT."

OK. But now the next step is making individuals living for centuries
believable. These genealogies just do not reflect the real world in the
1-to-1 way this discussion assumes. It might reflect perceived relations and
particular views of the past, but to claim that humans actually lived for
centuries is really pushing it. I think we can deal with someone living for
150 years (just), but beyond that, we're getting into the realm of creative
literature. Are we also going to post that dogs lived longer, too?

I don't want to dredge up the discussions we've had in the past about what
'year' means in this context, but if anyone does some comparative research,
they'll see that there is a common practice in the ancient Near East to make
your ancestors live unbelievably long lives. In Mesopotamia, we have records
of kings reigning for thousands of years. This is just a literary device to
portray a golden pristine age, and no actual chronological details can be
plausibly gleaned from them.

Add to this the fact that Genesis shows evidence (esp. Gen 10) of an Iron II
context (at the earliest), and this entire line of reasoning is quite
questionable.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au