b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 15:33:16 -0700

On 18 May 2009 at 10:26, Bill Rea wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
> > The approach deals with much more than just title and author. To get the
> > full
> > idea one
> > needs to check out P. J. Wiseman, "New Discoveries in Babylonia About
> > Genesis"
> > (London:
> > Marshall, Morgan & Scott, 1946) where the idea was first presented in a
> > more
> > or less full
> > form. There's a summary of the whole approach at
> >
> > http://www.biblemysteries.com/library/genesis.htm
> >
> > The lectures Karl remembers were probably based on Wiseman's work. I
> > read the
> > book in
> > the early 80's and it made a lot of sense. Your reduction of it to
> > nothing
> > more than a
> > colophon of title and author doesn't do it any kind of justice.
>
> Thanks for posting this. It was the type of thing I was asking for. It seems
> to me that the supporters of reading the tolodoth formulas as ending a
> section are banging a round peg through a square hole. I followed through
> some of the so-called ``tablets'' on that web site and these formulas more
> naturally open the next ``tablet'' or section rather than close the previous
> one. One rather curious feature is that the end of Genesis does not have one
> of these tolodoth formulas. Given that the texts of Genesis and Exodus would
> have us understand there was a very long period of time between these events
> the lack of a title and author for the last section is quite strange.

A very good point, and one of the reasons I won't go to the stake for the
theory. But I do
think it has a certain amount of merit. I haven't checked out the Babylonian
tablets myself,
but it's on my "to do" list.

Dave Washburn

Ibuprofen, Hebuprofen, Shebuprofen, Theybuprofen, wouldn't you like to be a
profen too?