b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen and Rebecca Shead <srshead AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:27:22 -0400

Karl and James,

Personally I find James's analysis much more convincing and consistent with
the text, especially if "these are the TWLDT *(generations)* of X" means, in
normal circumstances, "this is the story of the posterity/children/family of
X," rather than "this is the life story of X." Part of the rationale is the
connection between TWLDT and YLD - hence the suggestion to translate it as
"this is what became of" (or "this is what was borne of") - see the NET
notes, or Marten Woudstra's article at
http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebrandt/OTeSources/01-Genesis/Text/Articles-Books/Woudstra_GenToledot_CTJ.htm
.

As I understand it, James's position is the majority view - which doesn't
mean it is right, of course, but means Karl's argument has an uphill battle.