b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Martin Shields <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 09:08:15 +1000

There are a few other observations I think are relevant to the claim that these function as identifications of author (in addition to those already cited). I apologise if anyone's already mentioned these:

1. As far as I can tell, in Akkadian authorial colophons there is a specific reference to the work as the "writing of," a meaning which seems difficult to impute to the term תלדות in BH.

2. The same expression in Ruth 4:18 isn't usually understood as an identification of authorship (as far as I'm aware. anyway).

3. When there are unambiguous ascriptions of authorship in BH they use completely different terminology (e.g. Deut 31:9, 24).

ISTM that the claim that תלדות somehow identifies the author of the section is very weak.

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.