b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tolodoth and literary structure
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:11:59 -0700

James:
Why are you putting so much effort into trying to disprove this
understanding of the text?

One way I deal with lexicography is to start with the easy cases, then go to
the hard ones. If the easy cases give one clear meaning, then I make the
assumption that the harder to understand verses use the same meaning. There
are times where that practice has allowed me to recognize idioms, literary
conventions and sometimes just make sense of a verse.

Now it is clear from Genesis 2:4, 6:9a and 37:2a that this does not refer to
generations. This is an easy case. Further, there is a disconnect between
Genesis 37:2a and what follows. Another easy case. Not so easy, but still
noticeable, there is a disconnect, like a full pause, between Genesis 6:9a
and 6:9b, and Genesis 2:4 contextually and stylistically belongs to chapter
one. Then I look at harder to recognize verses, such as Genesis 5:1–2, and
see that they can be understood as a closing title and authorship claim.
None necessarily contradict that claim.

In order to disprove that these are following title and authorship claims,
you need to show that the only way to read the formula is as a preceding
title. I don’t think you can.