b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Where Is En-Mishpat?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Where Is En-Mishpat?
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:48:37 +0100

preserves parts of an ancient literary style that went out of use during
the
early to mid bronze age:

Do you have any evidence for this? As far as I am aware we don't have any
Hebrew manuscripts dated to that age (wish we did) and this line of
'evidence' merely furnishes new issues for debate.

No we don’t have any manuscripts that old (were it that we do) but we do
have documents from other cultures, and they have revealed literary formulae
that appear in Genesis, but not in later books. One of them is that the
title and author of a document was listed at the end of the document, not at
the beginning.

You've mentioned this before in several other discussions but when I asked you for sources back then you admitted that it was something you had taken in good faith from an old lecturer. The texts in Genesis that you have stated in the past as having this style could equally, if not better, be interpreted the other way. Can you at least cite some contemporary documents that unambiguously display this style so that I consider whether it has any basis or not?

James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.