b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Any meaning to the Dagesh?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:09:57 -0500

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
Dear All,

Since I'm sure we've run through the guard interrogative/definite article
example quite a bit, and since my example of the queen and her king
seems to have lost something in the translation, I figured some more
examples might be useful:
Yeah - I had no idea what that (the queen/king comment) meant. lol :)
qivcu "gather them!" 1 Sam 7:5
qibbacu "they gathered" Joel 2:6
Vowel signs are different.
xizqu "be strong!" Deut 31:6
xizzaqu "they strengthened" Jer 5:3
Vowel signs are different.
sifru "count!" Ps 48:13
sipparu "they told" Ps 75:2
Vowel signs are different.
limdu "learn!" Is 1:17
limmadu "they learned" Jer 9:4
Vowel signs are different.
$ivru "buy" Is 55:1
$ibbaru "they broke" 2 Ki 11:18
Vowel signs are different.
Some more varied ones:

qinnim "nests/compartments" Gen 6:14
qinim "lamentations" Ezekiel 2:10
gn6:14,6 <QIN.IYM> - Common Noun, Masculine Plural of <Q"N>
ek2:10,10 <QINIYM> - Common Noun, Feminine Plural of <QIYNFH>

This is EXACTLY what I am asking for!!!!!! Everything is identical graphically except for a variation in the dagesh marks - and they have two different meanings. in fact they are even two different lemmas!
THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!

Do you have any more examples like this one?
$ilxo "his weapon" 2 Chron 23:10
$illaxo "he sent him away" 2 Sam 3:22
Vowel signs are different.
nicca "ripe fruit" Is 18:5
niccah "its flower" Gen 40:10
is18:5,9 <NIC.FH> - Common Noun, Feminine Plural of <NIC.FH>
gn40:10,7 <NIC./FH.> - Common Noun, Masculine Singular of <N"C> / Suffix:3rd Person Feminine Singular

In this example you were half way there - they two words are identical graphically except for a variation in the dagesh marks. But they have different morpheme breaks. The first is just one morpheme, but the second is two - a "base" and a suffix. So this example doesn't apply to my question.

middavar "over the words of" 2 Sam 19:44
midbar "desert" Ex 19:1
Vowel signs are different.
miggava(ot "of the hills of" Is 2:2
migba(ot "hats" Lev 8:13
Vowel signs are different.
There even appears one case where a dagesh qal appears phonemic:
licvo "to be on duty" Nu 4:23, Num 8:24
licbo "to fight against" Is 31:4
However, [b] and [v] are already known to be phonemic in Tiberian
Hebrew. In fact, in the above example, perhaps Num 4:23, 8:24 are
derived from the Qal of cwy but have come to be spelled as lcb)
because the Qal is so rare. If this is the case, it might suggest
the w > v shift in Israel was very early.
nu4:23,13 and nu8:24,10 <LI/C:BO)> - Preposition / Qal Common of <CB)>
is31:4,27 <LI/C:B.O)> - Preposition / Qal Common of <CB)>
This one meets all the criteria except for a major one- they all mean the same thing.
Where are you getting the translation variation from?

Note: None of the above information may be used in commercial
projects of any kind, including (but not limited to) translations
and/or websites that charge a fee for entering or using parts of
that website.
lol - You can't copyright information. :)

B"H
John Steven