b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Another pronunciation question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Another pronunciation question
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:39:04 -0800

I'm a simple Anglophone whose only real foreign language is French, with a smattering of German. I quickly get lost in the IPA chart. My question here is perhaps only clearly answerable in an audio file. If you know of any to point me to, that would be great. Otherwise try your best with text.

What I want to know (hear; be able to produce) are the differences (if any) between the following:

heth
soft kaph
ayin
ghayin
soft gimel
final consonant of Scottish "loch"
penultimate consonant of German "nicht"
[others you think relevant here, including from Arabic]

thanks,

Gabe Eisenstein