b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Iron and Curses in Deuteronomy 28

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Iron and Curses in Deuteronomy 28
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:02:08 -0600

Dear Yitzhak,

Thanks again for the article you recommended by Jane Waldbaum.

http://books.google.com/books?id=AjUy9SA3vqcC&pg=PA27

So far I have read the part about the time period before 1200 B.C. I am not well-informed in such details, but I was struck by a few things in the article. She admits that there are very few remains, though she counts 150 iron objects from the Bronze Age. Some were clearly smelted, and even some iron products with nickel in them could have been. She shows that there was steel very early, both in Jordan and in the Hittite area. These include blades and an axe, though there are questions about how well the artisans understood the techniques they used. She says that some of the iron objects are so rusted away that one could not even test them scientifically to see how they were produced. She speaks of Hittite literary records of far greater quantities of iron than the archeological remains show. Based on what she says, it seems conceivable that a great deal of iron products of the ancient world have oxidized away, as others have said.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard