b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Joshua presented as Josiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: LM Barre <l_barre AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Ancient Bible History <AncientBibleHistory AT yahoogroups.com>, b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Joshua presented as Josiah
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 14:04:45 -0800 (PST)

The Deuteronomistic Historian portrayed Joshua after Josiah.  Here is a Dtr
text.

 1 After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua
son of Nun, Moses' aide: 2 "Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all
these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to
give to them—to the Israelites. 3 I will give you every place where you set
your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert
to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite
country—to the Great Sea [a] on the west. 5 No one will be able to stand up
against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with
you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.
 6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit
the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very
courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not
turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever
you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on
it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.
Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be
strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the
LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Comments?

Lloyd Barré
http://freewebs.com/lmbarre