b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew posts <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 08:06:08 -0500

Brak,

You are saying: Qal - he broke, Piel - he shattered, but I am afraid there is no biblical evidence that Piel is used to indicate a "stronger" action. Some verbs are used in the Qal form and some in the Piel form, occasionally interchangeably, and sometimes with shifted meaning, for instance, BACAR, 'gathered grapes', and BICER, 'fortified'.
Spoken Hebrew makes great use of this, for instance, QA$AR, 'tied', versus QI$ER, 'connected', XAZAR, 'came back', versus XIZER, 'wooed, courted'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University