b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: uhurwitz AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 00:30:59 -0500

Thanks for replying.
As previously stated, I'm just interested on how to translate it. So if a rare stem is a different form of one of the 7 stems, then I would like an equivalence given, such as polel = piel.

If one of the rare stems doesn't have a equivalence, I would like to know what the stem is in terms of voice and aspect - just like nifal is simple passive, piel is intensive active, etc.
Also an example translation of the stem would be spectacular. Like the following::
Qal - he broke
Nifal - he was broken
Piel - he shattered
Pual - he was shattered
etc.

B"H
John Steven

"He who makes a mistake is still our friend; he who adds to or shortens a melody is still our friend; but he who violates a rhythm unawares can no longer be our friend."
-Ishaq Ibn Ibrahim 767-850 CE.

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"The difference between the intelligent man and the simpleton is not the correctness of their decisions, but rather the cunning sinner can more skillfully defend and justify his iniquity."
- Rabbi Tovia Singer

Uri Hurwitz wrote:
Well, there is another way to approach this issue. Just one example: 'Polel' is not another stem, but rather the conjugation of verbs
with medial Waw or Yud in the Piel, such as Qomem from QWM.
As for 'H$TXWH' , since there is a 'XWY/H' root in Ugaritic
(I'm writing from memory), the Hebrew stem would indeed be Hishtaf'el.
Indeed there is an identical stem in Arabic: 'Istaf'ala', still very much in
use.
Uri Hurwitz Great Neck, NY
George wrote:
The stems you haven't figured out are rare stems which have largely dropped out of use in Biblical Hebrew, or are relevant for only one or two stems. The Hishtafel stem, for example, is the only stem which the root XWH (or $XW - it depends on how you understand the stem) appears in. These might be older stems or dialectal stems, but they aren't used very much in Biblical Hebrew.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au