b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 03:03:52 +0000

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Jason Hare wrote:
> Shalom B-Haverim,
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has information on the various views on
> the verses from Daniel 9:24-27 that I might use in a research paper on
> the subject. I have a copy of Mikra'ot Gedolot on the book of Daniel,
> in addition to some online resources and just a couple of
> religious-natured books. I'm interested in referencing a reputed
> non-religious position on the section, perhaps providing argumentation
> supporting the view that the events mentioned in the verses were
> accomplished in the time of Antiochus IV, or any other position that
> might add to the content of my paper. This might also be references
> regarding Ptolemy's record of the reigns of the Persian kings, etc.

According to http://lexicon.cet.ac.il/wf/wfTerm.aspx?id=736 note 7
the introduction to the book of Daniel, in the Mosad Harav Kook
publication seems to imply just that, which is surprising to me.

Also, look at the Encyclopedia Mikrait, which is probably a good
reputed non-religious position suitable to be quoted in a paper. But
the encyclopedia is a bit dated, and it quotes Ginsberg (1948) for its
comments on the dating of Daniel.

Yitzhak Sapir