b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:39:10 +0100

Dear Jason,

Three sources that you may want to study are: G. L. Archer jr. "Jerome's Commentary on Daniel" (1977). Grand Rapids: Baker Book House; J. Braverman (1978) "Jerome's Commentary on Daniel A study of comparative Jewish and Christian interpretations of the Hebrew Bible" The Catholic Biblical Quarterly Monograph Series 7; and O. Mörkholm (1966). "Antiochus IV of Syria". Köbenhaven: Gyldendalske Boghandel Nordisk forlag AS.

I am writing a book on the dating of the book of Daniel from a philological, linguistic, and historical point of view. Sad to say, regarding the book of Daniel and Antiochus IV, there is an overwhelming amount of traditional viewpoints that are presented as facts, and which are repeated over and over again without having any real foundation. Mörkholm shows that much of the history of Antiochus IV and his character is unknown. In many commentaries what the old sources say about Antiochus IV are manipulated to fit their interpretations of the text of Daniel.

A detailed study of Daniel 9:24-27 shows that the abomination of desolation was not set up by Antiochus IV in 167, but was set up in the first century C.E., as Medieval Jewish writers and the New Testament say. A detailed study of Daniel, chapter 11 and a new translation of the chapter has led me to conclude that contrary to the universal opinion, Antiochus IV is not mentioned at all in this chapter or elsewhere in the book of Daniel.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli PH.D
University of Oslo

Shalom B-Haverim,

I'm just wondering if anyone has information on the various views on
the verses from Daniel 9:24-27 that I might use in a research paper on
the subject. I have a copy of Mikra'ot Gedolot on the book of Daniel,
in addition to some online resources and just a couple of
religious-natured books. I'm interested in referencing a reputed
non-religious position on the section, perhaps providing argumentation
supporting the view that the events mentioned in the verses were
accomplished in the time of Antiochus IV, or any other position that
might add to the content of my paper. This might also be references
regarding Ptolemy's record of the reigns of the Persian kings, etc.

I appreciate any offlist insight I can gather from the various (and
they are many!) positions that exist for the interpretation of these
verses. Any insights into the Hebrew text would be treasured. I am not
operating at all from an English translation but am providing my own,
seeing that I don't even own a copy of the Bible in English anymore (I
left them all in America when I moved to Israel, bringing only two
copies of the Tanakh, a couple of Talmudic volumes and a siddur).
However, I can always use more eyes in seeing things in the text that
I may by routine simply overlook.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, both onlist (in terms of
linguistic analyses and journal references {nota bene: I don't have
access to decent libraries - please send journals that can either be
looked up online or accessed in either Tel Aviv University's library
or that of Bar Ilan}) or offline (personal opinions on
interpretations, etc.).

·Î·Â“ݯ·¨
’ßÈÈÒÂÔݔÈȯ (Jason Hare)