b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:05:38 +0200

Shalom B-Haverim,

I'm just wondering if anyone has information on the various views on
the verses from Daniel 9:24-27 that I might use in a research paper on
the subject. I have a copy of Mikra'ot Gedolot on the book of Daniel,
in addition to some online resources and just a couple of
religious-natured books. I'm interested in referencing a reputed
non-religious position on the section, perhaps providing argumentation
supporting the view that the events mentioned in the verses were
accomplished in the time of Antiochus IV, or any other position that
might add to the content of my paper. This might also be references
regarding Ptolemy's record of the reigns of the Persian kings, etc.

I appreciate any offlist insight I can gather from the various (and
they are many!) positions that exist for the interpretation of these
verses. Any insights into the Hebrew text would be treasured. I am not
operating at all from an English translation but am providing my own,
seeing that I don't even own a copy of the Bible in English anymore (I
left them all in America when I moved to Israel, bringing only two
copies of the Tanakh, a couple of Talmudic volumes and a siddur).
However, I can always use more eyes in seeing things in the text that
I may by routine simply overlook.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, both onlist (in terms of
linguistic analyses and journal references {nota bene: I don't have
access to decent libraries - please send journals that can either be
looked up online or accessed in either Tel Aviv University's library
or that of Bar Ilan}) or offline (personal opinions on
interpretations, etc.).

בכבוד רב,
ג'ייסון הייר (Jason Hare)