b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] shacham

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] shacham
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:31:39 -0700

I've been annoyingly pushing my agenda regarding Shechem as a theme in northern Israelite texts. But here's a strictly linguistic question: why does my Strong's say that shechem in the sense of "shoulder" derives from shacham, "to rise up early"?
And further: what is the origin of this word? Why is there a special word for getting up early?

A nonlinguistic question is: why is this verb used so often in the Bible? Why do people always have to do things early in the morning?

Gabe Eisenstein