b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] names and puns

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] names and puns
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:20:04 -0700

Dave Washburn:

You say there is no evidence for the connection with Shechem. I said that the association with Joseph is itself evidence, but you ignored this. More specifically, the context concerns the political ascendancy of Ephraim.

Other evidence can be adduced if one accepts that the texts were written by different authors. You give a lot of weight to the requirement of consistency with other texts about Jacob. It would be more convincing if there were another text about Jacob's military activities.

But in any case I don't believe that the text in question is primarily historical. We are dealing with personifications of the political realities of a certain era -- an era, I would guess, in which Schechem was still pre-eminent, and there was a memory of its pre-Israelite status.

Gabe Eisenstein