b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] shacham

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] shacham
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:58:22 -0700

Gabe:
Thanks for a little levity on this list.

First the linguistic question: in looking at historic lexica, many times
Hebrew words were listed according to their claimed roots. Strong's is
listing the traditional understanding that the two are connected to the same
root.

I, however, have a problem with that. At the same time that I say that not
enough attention is being paid to the connections of the roots, derivatives
and their meanings, I also claim that there are root connections being made
that I believe are invalid. This is one of them. Other than the similarity
in form, I do not see how they can be connected.

In order for a root connection legitimately to be made, I think that a
definitional connection also has to be made. Absent that, the mere
similarity in spelling means nothing, after all, it could be that a
"derivative" of a root may actually be a loan word from another language.

As for getting up early in the morning, think back to the last time you went
camping: when the sun goes down, unless you have a powerful lamp or are
playing around the campfire, your head also hits the pillow. After a long
and leisurely sleep, your eyes pop open (unlike the dragging when the alarm
goes off after staying up late the evening before) and it is still dark. You
think of all the things to do and are raring to go once it becomes light
enough to start. Further, it is cooler in the early morning, so you can get
more done before it becomes so hot that it becomes a chore. That's the way I
see it.

Karl W. Randolph.