b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] names and puns

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] names and puns
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:28:38 -0700

Dave:
As I understand it, life in the early bronze age, when this is reported to
have occurred, was not a garden of pleasure, rather it was every man for
himself. A man had to be ready to fight to get and preserve himself, his
associates and possessions. Being a slave to a powerful person was not
necessarily bad, if the master treated slaves well as apparently Abraham,
Isaac and Jacob did.

When Laban caught up with Jacob, it is reported that the two encampments
were not together, rather they were like two encampments ready for battle.
Hence Laban's statement that his daughters and grandchildren were like
captives. The text is sparse and gives very few details, but those it gives
are enough to get this understanding.

Notice also that Jacob had come to the conclusion that Laban and his sons
resented that Jacob had acquired so much possessions while in the employ of
Laban, therefore to preserve his possessions, he thought it necessary to
flee suddenly. Again the implication is to be ready to fight should Laban
chase after him.

Fortunately, a battle never occurred.

Furthermore, even in the land of Canaan, Jacob was armed and ready to fight,
should the inhabitants of any of the towns have come out to do battle.

It is with this background that I understand Genesis 48:22 with its
reference to sword and bow.

Karl W. Randolph.