b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] birth rate in Captivity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary Hedrick" <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] birth rate in Captivity
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 18:24:37 -0400

I didn't know it before this question came up, but it turns out that
calculating population growth is quite a sophisticated science. It has to
factor in not only birth rates but also offsetting death rates, as well as a
number of other factors. Evidently, there isn't a problem (at least not
mathematically) with a family of 70 generating a population of as much as
2-3 million over a period of a little over four centuries:
http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/advanced-topics/106-population-growth
-forumula.html
I suppose this is germane for this list since it might influence the
way some people read the Hebrew text.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, TX