b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] birth rate in Captivity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] birth rate in Captivity
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 23:52:22 +0200

Dear Doug,

I don't think that there is any rational explanation, nor do I think that one is needed. Jewish Midrash, working with the same data, calculated that the Israelites were actually in Egypt for 210 years, and that the 430 years began with Abraham. As an explanation for the Israelites' supernatural breeding, the rabbis explaned that that was what it was: supernatural - 6 children at each birth.

In general, my personal attitude is that you either accept the text at face value or you don't. If you do, then obviously God was somehow involved in causing the Israelites the multiply so fast. This is certainly what the author intends. If you don't accept the text at face value, then why accept that they really went from 70 to 600000? Why accept the time-frame? Why assume that they ever "really" went to Egypt? These are all legitimate questions for a historian, and not for an exegete.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Belot" <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>