b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] puns and names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] puns and names
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 00:42:40 +0000

Jim,

I am not sure, but I think that you are sometimes taking names of places and
changing the letters to sound more like the places listed in the Amarna
letters or other Egyptian records so that you can say those places in the
patriarchal narratives are really the places listed in the Egyptian records.
I think you are using the puns as a way to change the spellings of the words
to fit the other words you want them to sound like.

If the writer of these names wanted them to be puns you would either not have
to change any letters or you would do it in a way that follows a pattern ( I
guess.) I don't know where you came up with the letter change patterns that
you use all the time. You add and drop letters in a way that no one else
knows to see these puns, but somehow I think you do it to fit the Egyptian
words. Do you see the puns first or do you change the letters in order to fit
the Egyptian words in the Egyptian records? If you are intentionally fixing
the words to fit places in the Egyptian records then you are not really
seeing puns, but maybe using that as a secondary proof that these original
Hebrew words should be re-spelled in a way that fits the Egyptian records.

Kenneth Greifer

  • [b-hebrew] puns and names, kenneth greifer, 10/11/2008