b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hosea 1:8-11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hosea 1:8-11
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:35:28 +0200

Hi again,

I think you're being too literal, in expecting every "child" here to
represent a different part of the nation. The first son, Jeezrel, is so
named to get across the message of God's impending destruction of the
reining hous of Jehu, who had usurped the monarchy by a massacre at Jeezrel
(although in 2 Kings 9 this is presented favorabley). The other children also symbolize Israel, each in his or her own way.

And yes, the image of Israel as God's "wife" is fairly common in the prophets. Intersting, as the word for "husband" (God) is "baal" as in the name of the Canaanite deity worshipped by some in Israel. This theme is developed in Hosea 3.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Belot" <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>