b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hosea 1:8-11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hosea 1:8-11
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:09:32 +0200

Dear Doug,

Let's please keep what Yohanan wrote in mind: this list is meant for the study of the text of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, in a non-sectarian atmosphere. Our membership includes Christians of various denomonations, Jews of different views, and some people who prefer not to define themselves by religion at all. We can all get along and learn from each other, only if no-one feels that anyone else is trying to "sell" a partciular religious agenda.

I actually did not see such an attempt in your post, but since Yohanan obviously did, it's worth restating the list position.

With all this in mind:

a. What you call Hosea 1:8-11 is actually 1:8-2:2 in the Hebrew text. There may well be a theological reason behind the different traditions of numbering the chapters and verses. This is certainly worth further investigation.

b. In this parable, it is Hosea who acts the part of God, while Gomer represents Israel and her children, Judah and (northern) Israel. "Lo-ammi" ("You are not my people") is northern Israel, about to be scattered through the nations, but eventually to be recognized as "Sons of the living God" and returned. The passage does not mention gentiles at all.

c. Paul, in typical midrashic fashion, misconstrues the original context by making "not my people" refer to the gentiles. This is called "eisegesis" - reading "into" the text what one thinks it should mean, and is a common practice among Jewish and Christian interpreters of the Bible (and I suppose that one could say that Paul was right in between the two traditions). Whether he was theologically "correct" in his interpretation is way beyond the purview of this list.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Belot" <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>