b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yorenu (Isaiah 28:26)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yorenu (Isaiah 28:26)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:51:14 -0500

Isaac,
Harold,

Context, as we choose to understand it, may indeed suggest to us to see YORENU as 'he will show him' rather than 'he will show us', but it is still really not clear to me in what sense the "inserted" nun "gives strength and sometimes emphasis to the verbal form". It is really beyond me how a FORM [a meaning?] can be strengthened [energizes?] by a lonely nun.

HH: I was quoting GKC, which is an old source. You may be right. The modern grammarian Christo H. J. Van der Merwe, along with Jackie A. Naud, in A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar, say that it has no semantic value

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Do you have Gesenius-Kautzsch-Cowley, also called Gesenius' Hebrew
Grammar? It discusses this issue in #58i. There is a Nun energicum
inserted before the suffix. It is a special added syllable that gives