b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yorenu (Isaiah 28:26)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yorenu (Isaiah 28:26)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:43:33 -0500

Gabe,
Isaiah 28:26 = /vayisro l'mishpat elohaiv yorenu/

English translations always render something like: "His God instructs/chastises him to judgment, and teaches him."

My question concerns deriving "teaches HIM" from /yorenu/. I would think that the translation would be "he will teach US". Yet all the translations agree. What am I missing?

Do you have Gesenius-Kautzsch-Cowley, also called Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar? It discusses this issue in #58i. There is a Nun energicum inserted before the suffix. It is a special added syllable that gives strength and sometimes emphasis to the verbal form.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard