b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yorenu (Isaiah 28:26)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yorenu (Isaiah 28:26)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 04:52:24 -0700

Gabe:
Don't ask me what the English translations read, as I read it only once in
English, and that was many years ago.

I read this verse in context, both of what comes before, and afterwards. The
first two words are a continuation from the previous verse, the waw
indicates continuation. The verb can be from either SWR or YSR, from the
context I presently read it as from SWR. The context of the previous verses
gives a plural subject, who are not exactly in God's pleasure. Verse 25 is a
long question, with the closing idea "and they leave (turn aside) for
judgment?" Then the focus changes to "his God" and what he'll do. "His"
could refer either to each individual, or to the tribe (look at the
beginning of the chapter). As for the nun, I agree with those who answered
you before me. As for what God does, that is found in the following verses,
consistent with Deuteronomy 28.

Karl W. Randolph.