b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Vadim Cherny <him AT vadimcherny.org>
  • To: David H <ai_ya AT hotmail.co.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] About Dagesh's
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 21:21:09 +0300

It's about syllabification. Dagesh (a stop) was introduced to prevent consonantal jamming in clusters, sort of:

natan voker - nata nvoker - nata 'voker

rather,

natan .voker - natan boker

Now, in your example, there is no danger of concatenation and subsequent jamming:

veavar-ti ve-eretz

As a rule, word-initial dagesh doesn't appear when the previous word ends with -CCV.

Vadim Cherny

David H wrote:
I have noticed some strange occurences of words that do not use a Dagesh
where it would expect one; specifically, the preposition 'be' [in] and 'kol'
[all], which were both written as 've' and 'chol' [i.e no dagesh].
This came up in Exodus 12:12 ;
' Ve'avarti VE'eretz mitzrayim ba'lailah hazeh, ve-hikeiti CHOL-bechor....'
I was wondering if anybody could explain why the usual dagesh-ed form is not used!
Thanks a lot!

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/