b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exo 20:9-10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exo 20:9-10
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:25:59 -0700

Dear Yigal,

What you say about the Christians worshiping on Sunday is correct as far as it
goes. But in Acts "The Way" as it was originally known (also the Nazarenes)
met
daily (Acts 2:46a). Acts 3:1 also indicates that the Apostles went up to the
Temple at the hour of prayer (3PM, daily is implied). This went on for several
years after that. Eventually, the church gravitated to Sunday for several
reasons.

First, since the gradual introduction of the "god-fearers" (Gentiles) into the
church it became apparent that the meetings on the Sabbath (sundown
Friday-sunset Saturday) in the synagogue would not be a good idea. Second, as
you mentioned, Jesus was raised on the First Day of the Week, Sunday. Third,
Paul commanded the Corinthian believers to meet concerning the collection
that
was to go to help the church in Jerusalem, " Now concerning the collection for
the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as
God
hat prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come (I Corinthians
16:1-2). Fourth, is the view that Christ is the end of the law to those who
believe for Christ made one sacrifice for all (Hebrews 9-10).

Of course, Constantius, son of Constantine, Emperor of the Roman Empire, made
Christianity the official state religion and made Sunday the official day (it
was already the day of worship in the churches before the official
announcement,
but ...)

There are some within Christianity that would disagree (SDA- Seventh Day
Adventist; Seventh Day Baptist; etc.), but that is the basic outline.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III