b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yrwshlm-Yrwshlym-Yrwshlymh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Uzi Silber" <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Yohanan bin-Dawidh" <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yrwshlm-Yrwshlym-Yrwshlymh
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:19:07 -0400

A freylikher, kasherer un Gutn yontef adon John Davidson,

perhaps later scribes shifted it phonetically to yerushalayim so that
wouldnt sound like yerushalem (city of the canaanite god shalem).
after all, that name, as well as yevoos were the city's names in the pre
israelite era.

the scribes did the same sort of thing with names of Saul's sons: Ishbaal (
changed to ish boshet) and mefi baal (mefiboshet) meaning respectively 'man
of baal' and 'from the mouth of baal'.
'boshet' means shame.
Likewise yerubaal was appended gideon.

Uzi Silber, sitting upon the River Hudson remembering Zion.