b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6: BWR
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 07:19:04 -0700

Pere:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:55 PM, <pporta AT oham.net> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> 1. How do you understand a "transitive use" of an INtransitive verb?

There are verbs that can be used as both transitives and intransitives. The
English verb "to run" is one of them. The Hebrew verb RWC has a similar
meaning in the intransitive, and appears from at least one use that it could
be used as a transitive as well.

> 2. Look at B. in www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d221.html and be aware that this
> pattern was approved by the Academy of the Hebrew Language in 1996 as
> Niph'al Past, third person singular masculine, of verbs ayin-ayin (RCC) (not
> of verbs ayin-waw: RWC)

Who is the Academy of the Hebrew Language that I should listen to them? I
never heard of them before (at least not by that name). If the context
indicates one meaning, should I listen to the context or to some claims by
other people without giving their reasons?