b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] That piece of halibut was good enough for YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] That piece of halibut was good enough for YHWH
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:37:48 -0800

Jane:
Now that I have seen the skit in question, the concept that the name YHWH
was too holy to say is itself an anachronism. As far as I can tell, during
Biblical times, people had no problem with saying it. Only during Mishnaic
and later times did it become a problem.

As for its pronunciation, we don't know how Hebrew was pronounced during
Biblical times, all we know is how it was pointed during Tannaic times,
about a millennium after Hebrew had ceased to be spoken in the markets and
at the hearths of Jewish houses.

Karl W. Randolph.