b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] That piece of halibut was good enough for YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jane Peters <janepeters13041939 AT yahoo.co.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] That piece of halibut was good enough for YHWH
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:11:55 +1300 (NZDT)

> > Uri Hurwitz:
> > tov hayah b'eynei elohim

> Jane:
> Some of the humour of the saying in 'The Life of Brian' is in the
image of YHWH eating
> fish (for which the person gets stoned). I think b'eynei elohim loses
some of that direct
> meaning.
> Yitzhak Sapir:
> But the "in the eyes of God" is also an idiomatic expression, and if
one were to say "this
> fish will be good enough for the eyes of Yahweh" I don't think one
loses anything at all.
> The emphasis on the joke is not on the fact that poor Matthias views
Yahweh as human,
> but rather that a quite harmless comment meant to compliment the
cooking of his wife
> is an offense punishable by stoning by overly eager women.

Jane:
It's interesting the various issues for translation this short sentence
raises. Nothing is very straightforward when it comes to translation.

The way I hear the expression "good enough for Jehovah" in 'Life of Brian'
is that it means "good enough for Jehovah [to eat]". The 'blasphemer' has
just "had a lovely supper", so the clear implication is that the supper was
good enough for Jehovah *to eat*. As I understand it, b'eynei elohim is
idiomatic for divine favour. But I don't want to convey that the fish is
considered good by Yhwh, but that the halibut is good enough for *his
eating*. I think b'eynei elohim is too general to convey that emphasis.

> Yitzhak Sapir:
> This is also the reason why
> in the first mention of Yahweh, Yahweh ought to be at the end of the
sentence. The
> listener is held in suspense before he hears the word that is so wrong
to say.
Jane:
Good point. You've convinced me. The secret of good comedy is in the ...
timing. ;-)

> On: the language:

> > Yitzhak Sapir:
> > why Biblical Hebrew? During the time of Jesus, a form of Mishnaic
Hebrew as
> > well as Aramaic and Greek were spoken.

> Jane:
>
> It was just for the fun of turning it into Biblical Hebrew. I was
going to say something
> about this, and I guess I should have.
> Yitzhak Sapir:
> The point is that it is quite anachronistic. For example, how would
the Emancipation
> Proclamation sound in Chaucer's English? We can try to reconstruct
it, but it doesn't
> really provide us with anything that anyone ever said. Also, you seem
to want to
> concentrate on spelling rather than pronunciation, even though in this
case -- the
> sentence in question is one that probably wouldn't have been written
down anyway.
> My purpose was to reconstruct the Hebrew equivalent of the sentence as
it would have
> been spoken in the time in question.

Jane:
I agree, what I'm doing is anachronistic. Although, unlike Mel Gibson, I'm
being anachronistic on purpose. I think it's funny.

> Yitzhak Sapir:
> I will not criticize other translations provided on here.

Jane:
I was actually hoping you would, though.

> Yitzhak Sapir:
> However, your chosen translation
RQ )MRTY KY +WB L)KLH LYHWH HPW+YT HHY'
where the aleph is transliterated by ) and ', is not only clumsy, it
is wrong. +WB is an
adjective that should match the object (PW+YT) in gender and number.
Furthermore,
you are already here getting very close to Mishnaic Hebrew because in
earlier Hebrew,
instead of an adjectival construction, you'd have had a verbal
construction:
.... yy+b hdg hzh l?klh gm lyhwh

> As for the translation of "pw+yt," in Modern Hebrew most speakers
prefer a direct
transliteration "hlybwt." The fish is apparently not native to the
Mediterranean
Sea, and other water sources near Israel, so some places I looked at
recommended
in replacing it with other fish in recipes. I really don't think that
this is part of the
joke. Again, the point is a harmless sentence about a fish course at
dinner, and
while for British viewers halibut may have sounded perfectly normal,
it is not that big
a deal that we must keep it.

Jane:
Oops - 'good' did not agree in gender. I quite like the fact that the
transliteration HLYBWT is more commonly used than PW+YT, so would personally
still favour this over the generic DG. And adding gam makes it sound better.
So, taking on your points, the adjectival construction would be this(?):

RQ 'MRTY KY +WBH HHLYBWT HHY' L'KLH GM LYHWH

And the verbal construction would be:

RQ 'MRTY KY YY+B HHLYBWT HHY' L'KLH GM LYHWH

I wonder if it is possible to make 'KL infinitive: L'KL ? My concern is
that L'KLH may be too wooden.