b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] to cause to destroy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] to cause to destroy
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:26:16 +0000

I asked if the hiphil form of the verb shin het tav (to destroy) could also
be used as "to cause to destroy" since hiphil is causative. I think there are
some verbs that are in hiphil and are used as causatives and as regular verbs
like the verb spelled yud bet shin in hiphil it means "to become dry" and "to
make dry." The verb bet yud nun in hiphil it means "to understand " and "to
cause to understand". The verb yud lamed dalet in hiphil is "to cause to
beget" and "to beget". I can't really check each verb's use in quotes, but I
saw these words in a dictionary, so I am assuming these definitions are right.

Kenneth Greifer
http://www.windowslive.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_powerofwindows_012008