b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] to cause to destroy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] to cause to destroy
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 03:24:54 +0000

The hiphil form of the verb spelled shin het tav means "to destroy", even
though it could mean "to cause to destroy" (I guess). If someone wanted to
say "to cause to destroy" would they use the hiphil of this verb which was
not used for that meaning or some other verb that means "to cause to destroy"
or is their some verb that means "to cause" that would be used with the
hiphil form of shin het tav? I am confused about hiphil verbs sometimes
meaning "to cause to do something", and sometimes not meaning "to cause to do
something", and what happens when you actually want to say "to cause to do
something" and the hiphil form of the verb doesn't mean that.

Kenneth Greifer
Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/digitallife/keepintouch.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_VideoChat_distantfamily_012008