b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Gary Dikeman" <grbike AT sbcglobal.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 22:45:19 -0800

Dear Gary,

I refer you to TWOT, Vol. 1, pp 252, zera'

"This noun is used 224 times. Its usages fall into four basic semantic
categories: 1. The time of sowing, seetime; 2. the seed as that which is
scattered or as the product of what is sown; 3. the seed as semen and 4. the
Seed as the offspring in the promised line of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob or in
other groups separate from this people of promise.

The primary maning comes from the realm of agriculture. Seedtime or sowing, as
over against the time of harvest, will recur according to a promised pattern
which God guaranteed to Noah after the flood (Gen 8:22; cg. Lev 36:5)."

The above article also refers to #'s2 & 3 above, but it is what is mentioned
for
#4 that is pertinent for this discussion.

"The most importanttheological usageis found in the fourth categor.
Commencing with Gen 3:15, the word "seed" is regularly used as a collective
noun
in the singular (never plural). This technical term is an important aspect of
the promise doctrine, for Hebrew never used theplural of this root to refer to
"oosterity" or "offspring." The Aramaic tagums pluralize therm occasionally,
e.g. the Tagum of Gen 4:10, but Aramaic also limits itself to the singular in
the passages dealing with the promised line. Thus the word designates the
whole
line of descendants as a unit, yet it is deliberately flexible enough to
denote
either one person who epitomizes the whole group (i.e. the man of promise
ultimately Christ), or the many persons in that whole line of natural and/or
spiritual descendants.

"Precisely so in Gen 3:15. One such seed is the line of the woman as
contrasted with the opposing seed which is the line of Satan's followers. And
then surprisingly the text announces a male descendant who will ultimately
win a
crushing victory over Satan himself."

The article then proceeds to show how this continues from Eve through the
Abrahamic and Davidic Covenants with references included. It finally shows
also
the references to the Messiah In Psalms, II Samuel 7 and II Samuel 22:52.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III