b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Replaying

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Replaying
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 08:33:38 +0200

Pere,

I have spent some time today visiting your site. I am impressed by the
intended scope of the undertaking and its organization, yet I admit that I
have not examined it close enough to see the advantage of your lists and
tables over those found in other Hebrew grammar books, say HEYKAL HAMISQALIM
of Y. Abineri, or other dictionaries and available tables of verbs and nouns.
I also need to better understand how to search it. It is also not obvious to
me to whom it is intended and how they will benefit from it.

Some specific comments:

1.. In P-t001 you have 'I will iron', from the new [from Arabic?] root GHC,
with a 'xet' instead of a 'he'. In I-t1-07 you have a 'mem' instead of the
'shin' which opens the root $M(, 'hear'.
2.. At one point I saw some remarks of yours on the word TEBEL, 'world', in
which you opined, or leaned on the opinion of some higher authorities, that
the initial T is not radical, to the effect that TEBEL = TOBIL from the root
YBL. I am finding this argument curious.
3.. In P-m04 you translate VA-)OR as 'I will cause to shoot'. Is this so?
4.. In P-m08 you translate VA-YAK of Job 2:7 as '(and} he/it will smite'.
Is this true?
5.. In PS-t005 you say in reference to )ABAQ$AH that the closing he is a
'paragogic' one. I am not sure why you want to use an obscure term that does
not explain anything, does not exist in Hebrew, and only leads the reader to
suspect that this he is some sort of a pharmaceutical product. Is 'long form'
not good enough?
6.. In N-t003 I think it would be good to differentiate between YARAK,
'spit' and HORIK, 'became green', both from the root YRK. I know that it is
not your purpose, but a short reference to the puzzlement as to the semantic
proximity of 'spit' and 'green' is possibly due somewhere.
7.. In Nt017 you bring SYAG MHIRUT for 'limit of speed'. I have never
encountered this combination. As far as I know it is now HAGBALAT MHIRUT or
MHIRUT MUGBELET.
8.. In Nt017 you bring the noun GAMAL, 'camel'. I know that it is not your
purpose, but a short reference to the puzzlement as to the semantic proximity
of 'camel' and 'recompense' is possibly due somewhere.
9.. In Nt016 I was surprised to encounter the word STEN, 'mitraillette'. It
is in the Hebrew dictionaries only because this English gun name is
occasionally found in the Hebrew literature about the time of the British
rule over Israel.

Isaac Fried, Boston University