b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Replaying

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Replaying
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:39:30 +0100

[IF]

And if -AH, -AT, -ET, -IT are not gender markers, what inherently are they?
They must be something well defined within the language.

In YI-$LAX, 'he will send' the prefixed YI is according to your way of
thinking a person-tense-gender [male] marker, but this same YI becomes a
person-gender [female]-mode marker in $ALX-IY, 'send away!'.

[PP]

You are right as regards YI-$LAX. But you are wrong in saying that "this same
YI ... in $ALX-IY"
Indeed, it is not here YI but, as yourself write, IY. These YI and IY are not
the same thing... Even if the consonant is the same, the combination is just
the reverse of one another! (In English --and in most languages- a 'cane' and
'acne' are not the same thing ...)

[IF]

DAT-IY [after Esther 1:13] is 'religious man' but also, surprise, surprise,
'my religion'. What are then all these IY-YI? It calls for a decisive
explanation.

[PP]

Yes. This is what I'm trying to do through my work. See for instance
www.oham.net/out/P-t/P-t186.html where the prefix YI is fully defined as
regards cases where it comes together with the vowel pattern sheva and patah
following it.

"Indeed [in the] Hebrew language things are complex and by no means simple"
will not do. To the contrary, Hebrew is an absolutely systematic and
transparent language. Any part of any of its words can, and need be, fully
and clearly accounted for in the context of the language itself.

[PP]

I think, Isaac, that Hebrew is systematic. But not to the point that this
systematization is, as you write, "absolute". There is a good regularity in
the inner nature of most Hebrew words and structures but there are also
deviations, exceptions and rarities.

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Isaac,
I think we agree. Indeed Hebrew language things are complex and by no
means simple...
You ask: Any person marker in DIBER? And one could answer: No person
marker here so that we could say that when there is no person marker... then
the IMPLIED person marker is that of third person singular masculine.
But... then... what about, say, these Imperative forms with no explicit
person marker such as $:LAX!, send! (1Sa 20:31) or $:)AL!, ask! (1Ki 3:5)
that refer to second -and no more to third- person singular masculine?
Maybe could we say here that the sheva after the first root consonant is
the person marker? Look at www.oham.net/out/N-t/N-t017.F.2.html

So the above assertion -no person marker = third person singular
masculine- would be true only for the Past or Perfect...

[IF]
Indeed, it is inconceivable that the ancient Hebrews would have
encumbered, say, ')ADAM-AH, 'earth' with the "suffix" -AH just to inform us
about something that is utterly irrelevant, and that springs into existence
post factum only by dint of the -AH affixation, namely the "gender" of
'earth'. To the contrary, after -AH is added, for whatever reason, the noun
becomes classified as "feminine" in the sense of requiring a matching coupler
ending for a qualifier as in )ADAM-AH TOB-AH, or as in D)AGAH (AMUQ-AH, 'deep
worry', and so on.

[PP]

Yes, I think you are right.

[IF]

Local conclusion: -AH, -AT, -ET, -IT are not gender markers.

[PP]

You --we--- should better say that -AH, -AT, -ET, -IT are this and this
and this... and ALSO gender markers.

The -AH in the noun "DIBRAH" you mentionned is a good example of gender
marker. We find other samples in Ne 8:12; 13:5 or in Is 1:21.
But... even here we must be careful: in numbers... final -AH means
masculine (look at Lv 27:6, five shekels)

[IF]
Global conclusion: Hebrew does not have a marker specific for gender.

[PP]

True. But even if it has no specific marker for gender... it has some
gender markers such as

1. -AT --------- PIQAXAT, (female) seer (not in the Bible) <> PIQ"AX,
(male) seer or seeing (Ex 4:11) or YODA(AT, (female) who knows (Nm 31:17) <>
YOD"(A, (male) who knows (Js 22:22)

2. -ET ---------- )AXERET, other (female) (last word in Gn 17:21) as
compared to )AX"R, other (male) (last word in Rt 2:22) or GAXELET, hot
coal(s) (Is 47:14) (root: gxl, kindle, burn)

3. -IYT --------- $"NIYT, second (female) (last word in Lv 13:5) as
compared with $"NIY, second (male) (last word in Gn 1:8)

and as it will be clear from the explanation pages I'm being making ready
(for the pattern type look for instance at www.oham.net/out/S-t/S-t1904.html

none of these -AT, -ET or -IYT refer to a male (1).

(1) There is perhaps the exception of Qal Imperative, second person
masculine singular, of some verbs: GA(AT, touch! (you, male) and the -AT or
-ET marking the construct state in some cases as that we find in Js 1:11:
$:lo$et yamym, three days.