b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: jcwilking AT yahoo.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 12:31:45 EST

John:

Despite the fact that some translations render ANI as "I am" in Isaiah 47:8,
the syntax is very different than YHWH...

1) ANI is a pronoun, while YHWH is presumably some verbal form, of HYH.
2) The role of ANI in these verses is to emphasize the first person which is
also present in the suffix of 'PSi while in YHWH the emphasis is on the
verbal aspect (either being or becoming). In Ex 3:14 the first person is
alluded
to as the meaning of the divine name but the form YHWH is third person.

Cheers,
ted brownstein

In a message dated 12/22/2007 1:07:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,